The NFL reportedly isn’t inclined to settle with Ezekiel Elliott.
Isaiah J. Downing-USA TODAY Sports
The NFL isn’t interested in working out a deal with Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott, who had been reportedly open to such an arrangement earlier this week.
Interestingly, it wasn’t long after that initial report emerged that another struck it down as false.
In any case, the NFL isn’t on board with any sort of deal, per spokesman Joe Lockhart. In a conference call with reporters, he said of the Elliott case, “We’re not looking to make a deal. We’re very confident our arguments will prevail in court later this month,” via Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio.
Elliott is currently still able to play this weekend and through Week 8 as he gained a temporary restraining order that will last until Oct. 30 at the latest. Per Florio, “the presiding judge is expected to conduct a hearing on whether the TRO will become a preliminary injunction, which would block the suspension until the litigation ends.”
The NFL has no reason to settle. It won the Tom Brady case and could only lose by backing down in its current case against Elliott. The same can be said for Elliott, who’d be doing himself and his NFL brethren a disservice by caving into the league at this critical junction.
Both parties have pushed their chips into the pile now and are all-in. The only thing left to do at this stage is see who has the best cards at the end of it all.